top of page

The History of Pinnock's Coffee House

Then and now - The Living history of our village

logo.jpg

The building that houses the Pinnock's Coffee House that we know today, dates from the late 15th century. Amberley Cottage next door was probably built on as a later extension.

In the 20th century the properties came into the possession of the Stansfield family who first leased them to William Warner, a butcher and his wife, Amelia who was the confectioner, and subsequently sold them to the Warners. On William Warner’s retirement in 1934 they were leased to dairyman Arthur Pinnock and his wife Edith. They ran the business as Pinnock's Tea Rooms from the 1930s through to approximately 1969, although the last few years it was run by various tenants rather than the Pinnock family. It was a favourite haunt of visiting cyclists.

A shop called Toby Craft was there for a number of years as the property was by then in the ownership of the owners of the Toby Cottage. This shop relocated making way for Clifford James shoes, which was predominantly a mail order business. They, in turn relocated and for a few years it was Fashion Trapp until the owner retired. The building was empty from 2010 but after refurbishment Russell James, the proprietor, reopened it as a coffee and tea shop in 2012 and decided to revive the Pinnock's name. see journal 229.

bottom of page