For a full list of this year's annual programme of events
Please click here
Although there have been finds of Neolithic tools such as flint scrapers and flint flakes in Tannery Lane, Send and elsewhere, and a prehistoric wooden paddle was found in a meadow in 1912, there is no evidence of Stone Age settlements as such in Send (LGB. Newsletter 3, page 2). However, the River Wey, which flows through the greater part of Send and Ripley and the adjoining parishes of Wisley, Old Woking and Pyrford, probably provided sites of habitation as well as a means of communication from earliest times.
Evidence of Roman occupation is restricted to a few mostly single coins found in fields and gardens.
The Domesday Survey
Send was clearly well established by the latter part of the Anglo-Saxon period as it is referred to as 'Sendan' by 960 (Cartularium Saxonicum, Birch, Vol. 2, page 1063). It may be of Celtic origin (Surrey Place Names, Gavin Smith, pages 105 and 106. 2005.)
It was a thriving community when recorded in the Domesday Survey of 1086 following the Norman Conquest. Ripley is first mentioned during the reign of Richard 1 (1189-1199) and the area covered by Ripley may be assumed to be included with Send. The entry for Send as transcribed in the Phillimore edition of Domesday Book – Surrey, edited by John Morris is:
Land of Alfred of Marlborough
In Woking Hundred
Click here to see more LINKS
We would be pleased to add any link to publicise websites which relate to Send and Ripley village. Likewise we would appreciate having links from similar/related web sites. Please contact us for further information.